TASK's spiritual support for overseas mission
East Anglian-based Training and Advice for Service in the Kingdom (TASK),
offers a network of advice and spiritual guidance to Christians going overseas with their professions, trades, or businesses. It supports the “tentmaker approach” to mission whereby faith is shared in the context of one’s job in another culture.
This follows the example of St Paul who practised his trade as a tentmaker on some of his missionary journeys. This trade established him within the community, the quality of his work and his business practice demonstrated his integrity, while his earnings made his financially self-sufficient.
Modern tentmakers may be students, language teachers, medical staff, engineers, architects, diplomats - the list is endless - and particularly today business people. They may be young people early in a career, older families, or those retired – some countries particularly value senior citizens. Even redundancy may be a spur to put years of experience good use in another country.
Tentmakers are not undercover missionaries: they are men and women of integrity, employed in real jobs, who share their faith by living out the good news of Jesus Christ in a foreign culture.
TASK can help Christians
- Who travel overseas for professional and business reasons
- Who feel called to overseas mission but lack confidence and training
- Who want to learn more about overseas service
- Who are called to be tentmakers
- A network of mentors around the UK with special experience to work with, and encourage individuals
- Advice on locations where opportunities exist. Here we work with the organisation Christian Vocations
- Training through distance learning, occasional short courses, and one-to-one counselling.
What is TASK?
TASK was formed in 1994 to support the development of the Tentmaker approach to mission in the UK, and we equip those called to be tentmakers.
It has so far provided advice and spiritual guidance and preparation for about 350 people. It seeks to work in partnership with local and international churches.
TASK is an affiliate of Tentmakers International, and is affirmed by many mission agencies around the world. From 1994 to 2007 it was run from Bradenham in Norfolk and is now based in Stowmarket, Suffolk: in 2007 it became a ministry of Global Connections.
Norfolk contact for Task 01760 440200