Year of double celebrations for Eaton church
St Andrew’s, Eaton – the only thatched church in Norwich – is this year celebrating two anniversaries, 675 years apart.
It is 700 years since the first minister, Geoffrey de Boton, was appointed to the medieval flint-built church in 1318.
The church in the heart of Eaton village, close to the River Yare, is also celebrating the 25th anniversary of the opening of its much-admired hall church, one of the largest of its kind in Norwich.
The light, airy building, opened in 1993, is used for most services and numerous musical events throughout the year.
Celebration art, craft and musical events, exhibitions, holiday club and social events will mark the year of double celebrations.
Bishop Graham James will leads a Service of Celebration on Sunday June 17 at 10am to commemorate the 25th anniversary of St Andrew’s New Church.
Saturday and Sunday July 21 and 22 – EVRA Scarecrow Competition – ‘Famous Teddies’ - Get involved in our community’s annual extravaganza of fun-filled creativity. For further details visit the Eaton Village Residents' Association website.
Sunday July 22, 3-5pm – ‘Teddy Bears' Picnic’ - As part of the EVRA Scarecrow weekend, we’re holding a picnic for all teddies (and their owners), and will watch with astonishment as teddies face the death-defying descent from the Church tower. Please bring your own picnic and teddy and join in the fun.
July 30 – August 3 (mornings) – Summer Holiday Club - Places are limited, so book as soon as you can for the ever-popular Holiday Club for children aged 5-11, taking place during the first week of the summer holidays. At St Andrew’s, but organised jointly with Christ Church – so all are welcome – from Eaton and beyond.
The parish of Eaton was well-established by the time of the Norman Conquest, and extensive details appear in the Domesday Book of 1086, commissioned by William the Conqueror who invaded England in 1066.
Eaton Parish is currently advertising on this website for a part-time office administrator